Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Is it worth a sulk?

The other day while I was on my way to town in the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit), I witnessed something that I thought funny but deemed that the reactions from certain people unnecessary.

A middle aged lady (A- in her late 50s) was standing at the doorway and during one of the stops, a lady (B - in her early 20s) entered the train and her bag accidentally bumped into A. A furiously stared at B and started to scold B and mumbling to herself. B kept quiet during the whole process and was ignoring A. While I was sitting there and witnessing the whole thing, I was thinking whether it is necessary for A to have such a big reaction.

A few days later, the same thing happened to me. I was entering the already packed MRT during the peak working hours. As I was carrying quite a lot of stuffs (laptop, shoebag, newspapers), I was a bit clumsy in a way. One of my bags bumped into a lady (dressed professionally) in her 30s. I was on the verge of apologizing to her but after looking at her sulking face and angry stare, I could not bring myself to carry out my first intention. I was a little bit shocked and appalled by her reactions and I zipped my lips. The reaction from her actually affected my mood and work performance that day. I guessed it affected hers as well.

Let's study how it would have been if the reaction from the lady is reversed. I bumped into her and when I looked up at her, she gave me a smile. In return, I gave her an apologetic smile and apologized. She took the whole situation easily and understandingly and both of us would not have ended in sour mood which affected our day and working performance that day.

How we choose to react in some situations really can affect the outcome. You can decide to spoil your own day by complaining, scolding or staring angrily at the other person. You managed to release some of the anger but the history remains and problems unsolved. On the other hand, such reaction could introduce negative energy within you and people around you. If we can choose to control our emotions and be more understanding and put ourselves more in other people's shoes, it will serves a better environment for everyone.

So, start by smiling more often to people around you and control your emotions by being more courteous!

No comments: